According to the standard EN ISO 14122, "Safety of machinery - Permanent means of access to machines and industrial plants," fixed ladders can secure access to heights for angles of incline between 75° and 90°.
ISO 14122-4 is specifically dedicated to permanent access ladders in an industrial environment or for technical and maintenance access.
The following safety criteria are included in ISO14122-4 requirements:
- If the climbing height of a permanent ladder exceeds 10m, a rest platform is required every 6m.
- If possible, the rest platform must be configured with a change of flight (ladder with staggered flights / multi-flights ladder).
- When the climbing height exceeds 3m, the ladder must be equipped with a fall protection device (typically a safety cage or personal fall arrester).
Rungs and vertical stiles
- Ladder elements must be tested to satisfy requirements of EN131.
- The permanent deformation as the result of a vertical load of 1000N or horizontal load of 500N can't be more than 10mm.
- Please contact our engineering department for a detailed review of the technical requirements of ISO14122-4 for your specific project.
This is only a small summary. The information presented here are not recommendations by JOMY but a summary of common practices.